Sunday, September 27, 2009

Ode to Ben







I have a cat,
His name is Ben.
He is a beast
(I won't pretend).

Sway-gut. Sharp-tooth.
Lumbering mass.
More like Godzilla
Than a cat.

He picks on Bell.
He picks on Frey.
No pet is safe
In his domain.

He shreds the TP
On the roll.
He wants more kibbles
In his bowl.

He's rude, vindictive,
Often cranky.
My daughter even says
He's stanky.

With all of that
You'll wonder why
Ben's the apple
Of my eye.

He broke his tail
When just a tyke.
Touch him wrong,
He'll howl and swipe.

He'll prance and gnaw
With string unfurled,
The biggest kitten
In the world.

A can of tuna
And he's set.
Breast of chicken
Better yet.

He's been with me
Through thick and thin.
I click my tongue
To summon him.

He lays on me,
This sack of fur.
He has the very
Loudest purr.

At end of day
I feel at peace
With Ben stretched out
Right next to me.

"Orange behemoth?"
"Worthless lout?"
He's "Uncle Boo-boo"
In my book.

I have a cat,
His name is Ben.
But more than that,
He is a friend.

1 comment: