Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Immunity

With H1N1 so prominent in the news, we're all wondering, "Am I safe from sickness?" Personally, I got my seasonal flu shot a couple weeks ago (but can't find a swine flu shot to save my life). Apparently, what I really need to worry about is getting an ordinary childhood illness.

I recently tried registering for a college class (at a college where I've been taking classes for years) and was told that I couldn't. The powers that be had placed a "hold" on my status because I didn't have a complete immunization record on file. In order to register, I had to prove that I'd been vaccinated for measles, rubella, mumps, and tetanus/diphtheria. I had to submit
a Certificate of Immunity (cue ominous music).

I'd recently received my once-a-decade tetanus shot so that was covered. But the others? Like everyone else, I'd gotten the standard round of vaccinations when I was a tyke. Unfortunately, both the records (and the physician who administered the shots) were long gone (one of the liabilities of being an older student).

I asked the college's Immunization Officer, "What are my choices?" I could petition for a waiver or I could get tested to see whether my blood contained antibodies to the aforementioned diseases
(contacting my childhood doctor via seance wasn't an option). So off I went to my (current) doctor. And learned they have a test for just this thing -- the titer test.

As MedlinePlus explains, the titer test (or antibody titer -- "titer" means "amount") is
a laboratory test that measures the presence and amount of antibodies in blood. The antibody level in the blood is a reflection of past exposure to an antigen or to something that the body does not recognize as belonging to itself. The body uses antibodies to attack and remove foreign substances.
To which I say -- thank you, body. Whether you have a strong or weak titer determines whether you need to be vaccinated/receive a booster shot.

Although we don't hear much about titer tests for humans
(unless you need one to get a job or travel overseas), they're commonplace for pets. In the pet-loving community, there's a debate as to how often dogs should be tested and vaccinated. The blog Truth4Dogs notes that
Enlightened veterinarians and pet parents have become increasingly wary of the health risks, and lack of benefits, associated with repeatedly vaccinating dogs after their initial “puppy shots.” Is titer testing the solution to the over-vaccination problem?
Like many titer-challenged Americans, I can't answer that (I'm just glad they're not testing me for parvovirus, distemper, or rabies). To be honest, if I had a dog, it would be an area for concern. I have to admit, I was a little scared after viewing this Truth4Dogs video:



(I also have to admit -- Ms. Rasmusen's presentation in the video seemed to ring with the same type of fear-mongering and misinformation found in the autism arena among
Jenny McCarthy and the anti-vaccine contingent. Don't believe me? Pay a visit to Jenny and Jim's www.generationrescue.org.)

I had my titer test last week and received my results today. I showed immunities (a positive reading) for two out of the three diseases (hallelujah) but, because I didn't pass all three with flying colors, I'll need an
MMR (you guessed it -- Measles, Mumps, Rubella) vaccination (bummer).

I'll be returning to the doctor's on Thursday for my shot o' serum. Thursday night, I'll sleep easier knowing that I won't be contracting a laundry list of deadly (or, at least, discomforting) diseases. That I won't be endangering an unsuspecting public.
That I won't be labeled "Typhoid Johnny." And that I can, once again, attend college classes.

1 comment:

  1. Dear titer-challenged: you've become a hell-of-a blogger. At this point, I highly recommend promoting this blog outside the tender and short-sighted reach of your NMW class. While you may not think so now, the notoriety that you may gain may help you land a job down the road.

    ReplyDelete